Countryside bike Tour Amsterdam
Our tour takes you along the Amstel River beyond the edge of town and through the Dutch polder landscape with its rectilinear ditches and dikes. We pass by a cool community of houseboats and see how it has transformed from a hippie community to one that’s loved by the upper class.
Windmills, clogs and cheese, we are going Dutch
We’ll also show you one of the few remaining authentic windmills and visit an eccentric and entertaining Dutch farmer at his cheese farm/clog factory. The Riekermolen windmill is also famous because the famous painter Rembrandt loved to go here.
At the cheese farm, an eccentric farmer will demonstrate the traditional art of making wooden shoes and the famous Gouda cheese. Afterwards, you’ll be able to have a look around in their little gift shop and taste some free samples of authentic Dutch Gouda cheese.
We will bike back to the city centre, where we will go over Amsterdam’s most famous bike path under the Rijksmuseum.
Highlights on the Countryside Bike Tour:
- Go through the lovely, green Vondelpark
- Bike along the Amstel River
- See a classic windmill (The Riekermolen) from up close
- Meet Rembrandt next to the windmill
- Cross through the polder landscape that’s below sea level
- Visit a centuries-old cheese making and clog making farm
- Bike under the Rijksmuseum
- The Countryside bike tour is suitable for people 12 years and older. A good level of fitness, health and biking skill is necessary.
- This guided bike tour is 21 km / 13 miles long and lasts 3,5 to 4 hours.
- Group size: maximum of 15 people in one group.
- Lunch: feel free to pack a lunch and bring something to snack and drink along the route or out at the cheese farm because while the farmer has cheese to eat the wooden shoes are not fun to nibble on unless you are a chipmunk. The best is to wear a backpack on the bicycle.
- We will provide a good Dutch Bike with handbrakes and 3 gears and raingear if necessary. Helmets are not required for this tour
- Time: The tour starts seven days per week at 9.30 am and 2 pm (in winter months less). Make sure to be at least 10 minutes in advance at the meeting point
- Please book in advance, our bike tours often get sold out.
Meeting Point for the Country Side Bike Tour
What our guests have said about the country side bike tour
This tour was so much fun. Aaron, our tour guide, was great and informative. Beautiful scenery and the farm was really fun.
Cheese tour and tasting clog demo was fun and interesting we would defenitely take this tour again !
Staff and dog were all super friendly. Pace was great dining suggestions and we tried one and it was excellent.
Great start of your trip
My friend and I took the bike tour out to the countryside stopping at the windmill and the cheese farm. It was our favorite thing we did in Amsterdam! Our tour guide, Mariels, was absolutely INCREDIBLE! She shared jokes, told us about herself, and expressed interest in us and our stories, tailoring her tour to the group.
It was definitely an exertion, but the website prepared us for it so we knew what to expect. Biking out of the city made it a lot less stressful than trying to dart through the streets. Several others in my group took the eBikes, and quite enjoyed them.
It was an extra bonus that we took the tour on a Saturday as we got to watch a regatta and many people enjoying the Amsterdam forest. Can’t recommend this company and tour enough!!!!
Super bike tour in Amsterdam! Highly recommend this tour to anyone!
We wanted to do a tour that allowed us to see the countryside and some of the things Amsterdam is known for like windmills, cheese and clogs. It was a highlight of our trip.
Our guide Simon was very knowledgeable, friendly and entertaining. The ride itself was perfect, and the bikes were easy to ride. One lady in our group had done a different ride the prior day but booked another as she had enjoyed it so much.
Super activity to do while in Amsterdam!