Countryside bike Tour Amsterdam
Our tour takes you along the Amstel River beyond the edge of town and through the Dutch polder landscape with its rectilinear ditches and dikes. We pass by a cool community of houseboats and see how it has transformed from a hippie community to one that’s loved by the upper class.
Windmills, clogs and cheese, we are going Dutch
We’ll also show you one of the few remaining authentic windmills and visit an eccentric and entertaining Dutch farmer at his cheese farm/clog factory. The Riekermolen windmill is also famous because the famous painter Rembrandt loved to go here.
At the cheese farm, an eccentric farmer will demonstrate the traditional art of making wooden shoes and the famous Gouda cheese. Afterwards, you’ll be able to have a look around in their little gift shop and taste some free samples of authentic Dutch Gouda cheese.
We will bike back to the city centre, where we will go over Amsterdam’s most famous bike path under the Rijksmuseum.
Highlights on the Countryside Bike Tour:
- Go through the lovely, green Vondelpark
- Bike along the Amstel River
- See a classic windmill (The Riekermolen) from up close
- Meet Rembrandt next to the windmill
- Cross through the polder landscape that’s below sea level
- Visit a centuries-old cheese making and clog making farm
- Bike under the Rijksmuseum
- The Countryside bike tour is suitable for people 12 years and older. A good level of fitness, health and biking skill is necessary.
- This guided bike tour is 21 km / 13 miles long and lasts 3,5 to 4 hours.
- Group size: maximum of 15 people in one group.
- Lunch: feel free to pack a lunch and bring something to snack and drink along the route or out at the cheese farm because while the farmer has cheese to eat the wooden shoes are not fun to nibble on unless you are a chipmunk. The best is to wear a backpack on the bicycle.
- We will provide a good Dutch Bike with handbrakes and 3 gears and raingear if necessary. Helmets are not required for this tour
- Time: The tour starts seven days per week at 9.30 am and 2 pm (in winter months less). Make sure to be at least 10 minutes in advance at the meeting point
- Please book in advance, our bike tours often get sold out.
What our guests have said about the country side bike tour
The person who processed our rental was quick to get us going, humorous and helpful with suggestions fo where to go.
The bikes were in good shape and came with bike locks.